IKEA is known for its affordable furniture, Scandi-themed home décor, and its infamous Swedish meatballs. But that’s not all; in recent years, the company’s commitment to sustainability has garnered attention as it plans to become a climate-positive business by 2030. New EV charging infrastructure for IKEA’s electric vehicle fleet for customer deliveries and its ahead-of-the-curve developments in electric vehicles (EV) charging facilities have been instrumental in IKEA’s sustainability efforts.
But do all IKEA stores have EV charging points? How much does it cost to charge your electric car at IKEA?
Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about IKEA and EV charging as we answer the question – does IKEA have electric car chargers?
Good news – all IKEA stores in the UK have GRIDSERVE EV chargers available to use in 2023. So, whether you have a Tesla, a Nissan or an alternative BEV or PHEV, you can top-up your electric vehicle at IKEA while shopping for a convenient and range-anxiety-free trip.
GRIDSERVE EV charging stations are located at all IKEA stores – there are no other brands. However, the caveat is the number of EV charging points available, the speeds, and connector types depend on the location.
As a general rule of thumb, IKEA offers both fast and rapid EV charging in AC and DC formats and offers Type 2, CHADEMO and CCS connector types to match almost all electric vehicles – except those that use a Type 1 connector.
To find more information about what types of EV chargers are available at your local IKEA, please visit the GRIDSERVE website. Or take advantage of other EV charging apps such as Zap-Map.
Since all EV chargers at IKEA are GRIDSERVE, you can pay for your IKEA EV charging in two ways. One, pay contactless via credit/debit card or Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay. Or, two, pay via a Mina Chargepass – which works as an RFID card that can access multiple EV chargers across the UK.
In the future, GRIDSERVE membership and via an app will be coming to fruition.
Unfortunately, charging your electric car at IKEA is not free – unlike at certain supermarkets and other locations in the UK and Ireland. This has not always been the case. When first introduced, IKEA offered free electric vehicle charging pre-2016 at stores across the country. However, free EV charging at IKEA has come to a close as the number of EVs in the UK continues to soar (900,000 pure battery electric cars to date), meaning IKEA EV chargers cost to charge.
To charge your EV with a GRIDSERVE charger at IKEA in 2023, the prices are as follows:
IKEA has recognised the importance of supporting sustainable transportation by offering electric vehicle charging stations at all its stores. As the world transitions to electric vehicles, expect to see more businesses, like IKEA, embracing EV charging to meet the needs of eco-conscious consumers and reap numerous advantages.
Invest in a home EV charger and gain more benefits than public EV charging points – from cheaper charging to added property value, home EV charging ensures the utmost convenience.
Contact our team for free, unbiased advice at 03333 44 96 99 or fill in the contact form below to discuss your options. Our lines are open seven days a week, including bank holidays.
Enter your information below, and one of our expert advisors will be in touch shortly.
This type of electric charger has it's own cable to charge your car.
This type of electric charger requires a seperate cable to charge your car.
Spread over a 60 month period.
Tenants and homeowners are eligible for finance.
You decide the amount of months.
Minimum of £1000.
We will contact you to process the credit application. Approval is subject to application, financial circumstances and borrowing history. 13.9% APR representative. T&Cs apply.
Your order is not confirmed until your application has been approved.
We lay SWA cable laid at 600mm deep, with a protective cable warning tape laid 150mm above the cable. These are laid on a sand or sifted sand soil bed then backfilled.
We position overhead cables at a minimum height of 3.5m and are run along a catenary wire. The cable run should not be accessible to vehicles.
Our instant price is fixed if it falls within our standard installation package plus any additions that you have selected (extra cabling for example). This package covers the majority of homes in the UK. Before we undertake your installation we will carry out a digital survey to check that nothing has been missed. After reviewing the survey results some additional work may be required in order to complete your installation safely and to the required standards. If this is the case, we will contact you well before the installation date and advise the cost of any required work. You can then continue with your installation, or alternatively we will refund you in full if you do not want to proceed.
Included in our standard installation is :
• Fitting of a single phase charge point to a brick or plaster wall or other suitable permanent structure
• Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charge point.
• Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick if this is needed.
• The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the charge point.
• An additional three way consumer unit, if required
• Installation of a Type A RCBO in an RCBO enclosure
• Up to 3 metres of plastic trunking to conceal interior wiring.
• An O-pen earth protection device if the charge point requires it. (This is NOT an earth rod)
• Up to 4 hours of labour from your installer to complete the work.
• Electrical testing of the whole installation.
• Handover and setup of the charge point and any app that may be needed.
Not included in our standard installation (additional work) :
• Where the installation requires additional cabling over and above the amount you have told us about.
• Upgrade/replacement of the main incoming supply fuse where the local DNO (eg Northern Powergrid) would need to attend site.
• If the charge point is to be mounted on a post/pedestal rather than an existing wall and where you have not selected a post as an extra cost option in your order.
• Installation of a charge point to a three phase supply.
• Where gas and water mains bonding (earthing) is not in place at your property. If this is not in place, additional work would be required before installation of the charge point.
• Any groundwork that has not been selected during the order process.
A Surge Protection Device is not included in our standard installation.
What else you need to know :
• On the day of installation, please ensure that the area around your consumer unit (fuse box), incoming electricity supply meter and proposed charge point location (including where the cable is expected to be run) is clear and free of obstructions.
• We will need your WiFi password as part of the installation process in order to connect your charge point to the internet. Please have this available for the installer. Details will not be kept.
• The charge point must be on your own designated off road parking.
• The charger will be fixed in line with current guidelines at a height where it cannot be hit by a vehicle.
• Our installers are not able to enter loft spaces; lift floorboards or flooring; take apart any furniture of work above a height of 2m. If you anticipate that any of this may be required, then please contact us and we can discuss in more detail and provide you with a quotation.
• Should there be extreme weather conditions our installers may not be able to continue with you installation if it is not safe to do so (for example flooding). They will always do their best to complete the work where they can.
If you have any questions then please contact our customer service team who will be happy to help. Please also read our terms and conditions.