As the number of EVs continues to soar (one EV sold every 60 seconds in July in the UK), the need for accessible and efficient charging infrastructure is becoming more and more apparent.
While home charging remains a convenient option for many electric vehicle (EV) owners, commercial locations, such as businesses, shopping centres, and car parks, have begun to play a pivotal role in expanding the EV charging network while simultaneously bringing benefits to stakeholders in businesses.
But what exactly are the benefits of having commercial EV chargers at your business premises?
In this blog, we explore the benefits of installing business electric vehicle chargers at commercial locations, examining how these chargers not only serve as a practical amenity for EV drivers but also contribute significantly to sustainability efforts, business growth, and enhanced customer experiences.
Installing EV chargers for businesses can create a new revenue stream. Whether you opt for rapid chargers or fast chargers, you can charge customers or visitors a premium per charging session using a back office management system and generate a new revenue stream for your business.
Over time, you’ll likely recoup your investment and even earn a profit, especially with the help of government grants available for commercial EV charger installation.
With the number of electric cars on UK roads soaring – 850,000 fully electric and 530,000 hybrids, to be exact – soon, offering employees and visitors somewhere to charge their electric vehicles will become the norm.
By installing EV chargers for business in 2023, you can enhance your brand image and gain a competitive edge. Even one charger can make your business an example of corporate social responsibility and customer-centric thinking.
Demonstrating a commitment to sustainability is vital in today’s business landscape with the looming threat of global warming. Not only does making the switch to zero emissions vehicles signal that your business is environmentally conscious by emitting fossil fuel usage, but installing commercial EV chargers further aligns with your sustainability goals and reduces your carbon footprint. This commitment can improve your brand image and attract an environmentally conscious audience, expanding your customer base.
In fact, you could invest in solar electric car chargers and decrease your businesses’ carbon emissions further by using renewable energy to charge your electric car.
Nearby EV owners, whether locals or tourists, will be drawn to your business to charge their cars – especially DC chargers which have charging times of twenty minutes to an hour.
Often, these potential customers will explore what’s on offer while they wait, increasing dwell time and resulting in more sales – especially if your business is in the service or retail industries.
Offering electric car charging stations, especially with a customer-friendly pricing strategy, demonstrates your commitment to accommodating all clientele and customer satisfaction. This can foster loyalty among your customers, giving them a reason to return to your business time and time again.
The initial cost of installing EV chargers at commercial locations can often be a hurdle. However, there are substantial government grant incentives available for the commercial market, making it more financially feasible to install business EV chargers. The Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) and the EV infrastructure grant provide thousands of pounds worth of savings for businesses in relation to installing electric vehicle charge points.
As OZEV-approved installers, we can handle all grant paperwork on your behalf.
In summary, the advantages of commercial EV chargers extend beyond providing a convenient service for electric vehicle owners. They offer businesses an opportunity to generate revenue, stay competitive, showcase sustainability efforts, access grant incentives, attract more visitors, and build a loyal customer base. In an age where sustainability and innovation are paramount, the installation of commercial EV chargers can be a game-changer for businesses looking to thrive as the EV market continues to grow.
At We Power Your Car, we offer fast charging and rapid charging solutions from supply to installation. From commercial chargers at hotels, restaurants, supermarkets or shopping centres, we can supply and install AC and DC commercial EV charging stations to match your businesses’ needs. Whether you require one EV charger for your business, or a hundred, we cover the entire spectrum.
Contact a member of our commercial team directly for free, unbiased advice at 03333 44 96 99 or fill in the contact form below. Our lines are open seven days a week, including bank holidays. We can arrange an online site survey, or you can request an in-person survey. Alternatively, view our recent workplace EV charger installation at Kelling Group.
Enter your information below, and one of our expert advisors will be in touch shortly.
This type of electric charger has it's own cable to charge your car.
This type of electric charger requires a seperate cable to charge your car.
Spread over a 60 month period.
Tenants and homeowners are eligible for finance.
You decide the amount of months.
Minimum of £1000.
We will contact you to process the credit application. Approval is subject to application, financial circumstances and borrowing history. 13.9% APR representative. T&Cs apply.
Your order is not confirmed until your application has been approved.
We lay SWA cable laid at 600mm deep, with a protective cable warning tape laid 150mm above the cable. These are laid on a sand or sifted sand soil bed then backfilled.
We position overhead cables at a minimum height of 3.5m and are run along a catenary wire. The cable run should not be accessible to vehicles.
Our instant price is fixed if it falls within our standard installation package plus any additions that you have selected (extra cabling for example). This package covers the majority of homes in the UK. Before we undertake your installation we will carry out a digital survey to check that nothing has been missed. After reviewing the survey results some additional work may be required in order to complete your installation safely and to the required standards. If this is the case, we will contact you well before the installation date and advise the cost of any required work. You can then continue with your installation, or alternatively we will refund you in full if you do not want to proceed.
Included in our standard installation is :
• Fitting of a single phase charge point to a brick or plaster wall or other suitable permanent structure
• Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charge point.
• Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick if this is needed.
• The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the charge point.
• An additional three way consumer unit, if required
• Installation of a Type A RCBO in an RCBO enclosure
• Up to 3 metres of plastic trunking to conceal interior wiring.
• An O-pen earth protection device if the charge point requires it. (This is NOT an earth rod)
• Up to 4 hours of labour from your installer to complete the work.
• Electrical testing of the whole installation.
• Handover and setup of the charge point and any app that may be needed.
Not included in our standard installation (additional work) :
• Where the installation requires additional cabling over and above the amount you have told us about.
• Upgrade/replacement of the main incoming supply fuse where the local DNO (eg Northern Powergrid) would need to attend site.
• If the charge point is to be mounted on a post/pedestal rather than an existing wall and where you have not selected a post as an extra cost option in your order.
• Installation of a charge point to a three phase supply.
• Where gas and water mains bonding (earthing) is not in place at your property. If this is not in place, additional work would be required before installation of the charge point.
• Any groundwork that has not been selected during the order process.
A Surge Protection Device is not included in our standard installation.
What else you need to know :
• On the day of installation, please ensure that the area around your consumer unit (fuse box), incoming electricity supply meter and proposed charge point location (including where the cable is expected to be run) is clear and free of obstructions.
• We will need your WiFi password as part of the installation process in order to connect your charge point to the internet. Please have this available for the installer. Details will not be kept.
• The charge point must be on your own designated off road parking.
• The charger will be fixed in line with current guidelines at a height where it cannot be hit by a vehicle.
• Our installers are not able to enter loft spaces; lift floorboards or flooring; take apart any furniture of work above a height of 2m. If you anticipate that any of this may be required, then please contact us and we can discuss in more detail and provide you with a quotation.
• Should there be extreme weather conditions our installers may not be able to continue with you installation if it is not safe to do so (for example flooding). They will always do their best to complete the work where they can.
If you have any questions then please contact our customer service team who will be happy to help. Please also read our terms and conditions.