If you have an electric vehicle, you may be considering installing a dedicated home EV charger. A home charging point is a convenient, safe and fast way to charge your electric car at home. These dedicated chargers can also significantly reduce the costs of charging your EV.
After browsing the various EV chargers online, you may be wondering whether you can save a few quid and install your own EV charge point at home.
Although you may think that you can save a bit of money installing a home charging point yourself, it’s not worth it.
For example, if you install the home charger wrong, it is bound to cost you a lot more in the long term. You could end up paying more to have the errors you made fixed, such as, if you cause a widespread circuit shorting, than if you had just paid for the professional installation in the first place. This route would also be more time consuming! Additionally, if you try to install the EV charger yourself, you would also miss out on the OZEV grant of up to £350 off your EV charger installation. This is because, in order to claim the government grant, the home charger needs to be installed by a professional, and one that is OZEV approved too. Moreover, you are more than likely to lose the warranty on your charger, of which the industry average is about 3 years.
We haven’t even mentioned the potential risks of injury (or worse) yet!
When taking the DIY route, there is a great possibility that you could seriously harm yourself or others. Ultimately, dealing with an electrical installation is dangerous, complex and is not worth the risk. Some of these risks can include electrical shocks, all the way to accidentally starting an electrical fire.
In conclusion, we do not recommend trying to install your home EV charging point yourself. This is because you could seriously injure yourself, and you are unlikely to save any money at all!
So, how do I get an EV charging point installed at home?
If you are thinking about having an EV charging point installed at home, you should use an experienced and certified installer. Using a trained professional will ensure your charger is installed safely and professionally, meaning you can qualify for the government grant, your charger will keep its warranty, and there won’t be any preventable accidents.
At We Power Your Car, we have approved installers across the UK who will provide a top-quality installation with a quick turnaround. We make every step of getting a home EV charger easy, from finding and funding it, to installation.
Choose your home EV charging point today – Get An Instant Quote NOW
This type of electric charger has it's own cable to charge your car.
This type of electric charger requires a seperate cable to charge your car.
Spread over a 60 month period.
Also available over 24, 36 and 48 month periods.
We will contact you to process the credit application. Approval is subject to application, financial circumstances and borrowing history. 12.9% APR representative. T&Cs apply.
Your order is not confirmed until your application has been approved.
We lay SWA cable laid at 600mm deep, with a protective cable warning tape laid 150mm above the cable. These are laid on a sand or sifted sand soil bed then backfilled.
We position overhead cables at a minimum height of 3.5m and are run along a catenary wire. The cable run should not be accessible to vehicles.
Our instant price is fixed if it falls within our standard installation package plus any additions that you have selected (extra cabling for example). This package covers the majority of homes in the UK. Before we undertake your installation we will carry out a digital survey to check that nothing has been missed. After reviewing the survey results some additional work may be required in order to complete your installation safely and to the required standards. If this is the case, we will contact you well before the installation date and advise the cost of any required work. You can then continue with your installation, or alternatively we will refund you in full if you do not want to proceed.
Included in our standard installation is :
• Fitting of a single phase charge point to a brick or plaster wall or other suitable permanent structure
• Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charge point.
• Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick if this is needed.
• The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the charge point.
• An additional three way consumer unit, if required
• Installation of a Type A RCBO in an RCBO enclosure
• Up to 3 metres of plastic trunking to conceal interior wiring.
• An O-pen earth protection device if the charge point requires it. (This is NOT an earth rod)
• Up to 4 hours of labour from your installer to complete the work.
• Electrical testing of the whole installation.
• Handover and setup of the charge point and any app that may be needed.
Not included in our standard installation (additional work) :
• Where the installation requires additional cabling over and above the amount you have told us about.
• Upgrade/replacement of the main incoming supply fuse where the local DNO (eg Northern Powergrid) would need to attend site.
• If the charge point is to be mounted on a post/pedestal rather than an existing wall and where you have not selected a post as an extra cost option in your order.
• Installation of a charge point to a three phase supply.
• Where gas and water mains bonding (earthing) is not in place at your property. If this is not in place, additional work would be required before installation of the charge point.
• Any groundwork that has not been selected during the order process.
What else you need to know :
• On the day of installation, please ensure that the area around your consumer unit (fuse box), incoming electricity supply meter and proposed charge point location (including where the cable is expected to be run) is clear and free of obstructions.
• We will need your WiFi password as part of the installation process in order to connect your charge point to the internet. Please have this available for the installer. Details will not be kept.
• The charge point must be on your own designated off road parking.
• The charger will be fixed in line with current guidelines at a height where it cannot be hit by a vehicle.
• Our installers are not able to enter loft spaces; lift floorboards or flooring; take apart any furniture of work above a height of 2m. If you anticipate that any of this may be required, then please contact us and we can discuss in more detail and provide you with a quotation.
• Should there be extreme weather conditions our installers may not be able to continue with you installation if it is not safe to do so (for example flooding). They will always do their best to complete the work where they can.
If you have any questions then please contact our customer service team who will be happy to help. Please also read our terms and conditions.