If you’re an EV driver planning a weekend getaway in the UK, you may be wondering where you can charge your electric car.
And while breakfast is usually included in your overnight stay package, you may be curious to know whether electric vehicle charging facilities are available at hotels and if the costs are included in your final bill.
In this blog, we’ll answer the question – do hotels have electric cars charger? – and unravel the mystery surrounding hotels and EV charging, giving you all the information you need for a seamless trip. So, buckle up and keep reading to discover everything you need to know about electric car charging and hotels.
In short, it depends on the hotel chain and location as to whether a hotel has electric car chargers. A number of well-known hotel brands have already started to cater for electric vehicles (most notably the Premier Inn and Holiday Inn), offering EV charging facilities at certain locations in the UK.
Some hotels offer complimentary charging, while others may have a nominal fee or require a reservation for access.
As of 2023, here are the top six hotel chains that offer EV charging facilities in the UK:
Leading the charge for EV charging facilities at hotels is the Premier Inn. In 2021, the budget hotel chain introduced over 300 electric vehicle chargers across their UK hotels – and counting.
|Aberdeen South (Portlethen)||Helston||Solihull (Hockley Heath, M42)|
|Alnwick||Kettering||Solihull South (M42)|
|Bristol Cribbs Causeway||Llanelli Central East||Tamworth Central|
|Burton on Trent Central||London Enfield||Taunton Ruishton (M5, J25)|
|Cambridge North (Girton)||Milton Keynes (Willen Lake)||Tewkesbury|
|Cheltenham North West||Northampton West (Harpole)||Uttoxeter|
|Gloucester (Little Witcombe)||Rugeley||Wolverhampton North|
|Hastings||Stafford North (Spitfire)||Wrexham North|
Electric vehicle charging facilities are available at several Holiday Inn locations throughout the UK, including Doncaster, Heathrow, Leeds, York, and more. Currently, the Holiday Inn has approximately 85 charging locations across the UK.
Another global hotel chain, Hilton, has installed electric car chargers at many of its UK locations at speeds of fast, rapid, and ultra-rapid units.
Radisson hotels offer free Tesla destination charging across their chain. Not only that, but Radisson offers charging solutions for Type 2 inlets, too, catering to a wide range of electric vehicle drivers.
Over 60 electric car chargers are available at the Best Western hotel resorts across England, Scotland and Wales. Each hotel should have one charger at a minimum, with the hope that this number will increase with time.
According to Zap-Map, Travelodge has eight EV charging locations across the UK. While the number is low, it’s a step in the right direction.
Overall, approximately 1,640 accommodation businesses (i.e. hotels and B&Bs) in the UK have access to an EV charging point, according to ZapMap. However, as the availability of electric car chargers can vary from hotel to hotel, it’s always a good idea to research ahead of your stay and confirm charging options. If you’re an electric vehicle (EV) owner looking for hotels with electric car chargers in the UK, there are several ways to find them. Here are some options to consider:
Several EV charging apps are available online or via your smartphone, such as Zap-Map and PlugShare. These map-like apps allow you to search for nearby electric vehicle charging points, including those at hotels.
Many hotels now promote their EV charging facilities on their websites. Look for information on the hotel’s amenities or services pages or do a direct search for keywords such as ‘EV charging’ in the search bar.
If you’re struggling to find information online, contact the hotel directly via email or phone. You never know; new charging infrastructure may have been installed – they simply haven’t updated their communications yet.
Certain booking websites, such as Booking.com and Airbnb, allow you to filter hotels for accommodations with EV charging stations.
Similarly to Zap-Map, you can use Google Maps to check to see if certain hotels have electric car charging facilities.
Certain EV manufacturers, such as Tesla and their Supercharger network, have partnerships with hotels in order to provide EV charging points at their locations. Check with your EV manufacturer to see if they have any recommendations or pre-existing partnerships with hotel chains.
If your hotel doesn’t have electric vehicle chargers installed on the site – try to quell your range anxiety. Use popular apps, such as Zap-Map, to search for your nearest available charger. With over 49,882 electric vehicle charging points across the UK, charging your car when out and about has never been easier.
Installing electric vehicle (EV) chargers at hotels is a smart and forward-thinking investment that offers numerous benefits for both hotel owners and guests. With the increasing popularity of electric cars, more and more drivers are looking for convenient and reliable charging options when they travel. Here are some of the benefits of installing EV chargers at hotels:
1. Attract more guests: By installing charging facilities at your hotel, you are opening your doors to a new demographic of environmentally conscious guests who prefer to travel in electric vehicles. These guests are more likely to choose a hotel that offers EV charging over one that doesn’t, making it a valuable competitive advantage.
2. Boost your revenue: Installing EV chargers at hotels can be a lucrative revenue stream. Most EV owners will pay a premium for a charging station, so hotels can charge a fee for the use of their chargers. This can provide an additional revenue stream for hotel owners while also offering a valuable service to guests.
3. Enhance guest experience: Installing EV chargers at hotels can enhance the guest experience by providing a convenient and reliable charging solution. Guests can charge their vehicles overnight while they sleep, ensuring that they wake up with a full battery and can continue their journey without any worries.
4. Showcase sustainability: Installing EV chargers at hotels can also be a great way to showcase your hotel’s commitment to sustainability. It demonstrates your hotel’s dedication to reducing carbon emissions and supporting sustainable transportation options, which can be a major selling point for guests who prioritize eco-friendliness.
5. Stay ahead of your competitors: With the growing popularity of electric cars, the demand for EV charging stations is only going to increase. By installing EV chargers at hotels now, you are staying ahead of the game and future-proofing your business. This investment can pay off in the long run as more and more drivers make the switch to electric vehicles.
As experienced experts in home, workplace and commercial EV charger installations, feel free to contact us at 03333 44 96 99 or fill in the contact form below to discuss a bespoke hotel EV charging solution. As an experienced, nationwide electric vehicle charging company, we can install your hotel electric vehicle chargers.
Enter your information below, and one of our expert advisors will be in touch shortly.
This type of electric charger has it's own cable to charge your car.
This type of electric charger requires a seperate cable to charge your car.
Spread over a 60 month period.
Tenants and homeowners are eligible for finance.
You decide the amount of months.
Minimum of £1000.
We will contact you to process the credit application. Approval is subject to application, financial circumstances and borrowing history. 13.9% APR representative. T&Cs apply.
Your order is not confirmed until your application has been approved.
We lay SWA cable laid at 600mm deep, with a protective cable warning tape laid 150mm above the cable. These are laid on a sand or sifted sand soil bed then backfilled.
We position overhead cables at a minimum height of 3.5m and are run along a catenary wire. The cable run should not be accessible to vehicles.
Our instant price is fixed if it falls within our standard installation package plus any additions that you have selected (extra cabling for example). This package covers the majority of homes in the UK. Before we undertake your installation we will carry out a digital survey to check that nothing has been missed. After reviewing the survey results some additional work may be required in order to complete your installation safely and to the required standards. If this is the case, we will contact you well before the installation date and advise the cost of any required work. You can then continue with your installation, or alternatively we will refund you in full if you do not want to proceed.
Included in our standard installation is :
• Fitting of a single phase charge point to a brick or plaster wall or other suitable permanent structure
• Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charge point.
• Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick if this is needed.
• The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the charge point.
• An additional three way consumer unit, if required
• Installation of a Type A RCBO in an RCBO enclosure
• Up to 3 metres of plastic trunking to conceal interior wiring.
• An O-pen earth protection device if the charge point requires it. (This is NOT an earth rod)
• Up to 4 hours of labour from your installer to complete the work.
• Electrical testing of the whole installation.
• Handover and setup of the charge point and any app that may be needed.
Not included in our standard installation (additional work) :
• Where the installation requires additional cabling over and above the amount you have told us about.
• Upgrade/replacement of the main incoming supply fuse where the local DNO (eg Northern Powergrid) would need to attend site.
• If the charge point is to be mounted on a post/pedestal rather than an existing wall and where you have not selected a post as an extra cost option in your order.
• Installation of a charge point to a three phase supply.
• Where gas and water mains bonding (earthing) is not in place at your property. If this is not in place, additional work would be required before installation of the charge point.
• Any groundwork that has not been selected during the order process.
A Surge Protection Device is not included in our standard installation.
What else you need to know :
• On the day of installation, please ensure that the area around your consumer unit (fuse box), incoming electricity supply meter and proposed charge point location (including where the cable is expected to be run) is clear and free of obstructions.
• We will need your WiFi password as part of the installation process in order to connect your charge point to the internet. Please have this available for the installer. Details will not be kept.
• The charge point must be on your own designated off road parking.
• The charger will be fixed in line with current guidelines at a height where it cannot be hit by a vehicle.
• Our installers are not able to enter loft spaces; lift floorboards or flooring; take apart any furniture of work above a height of 2m. If you anticipate that any of this may be required, then please contact us and we can discuss in more detail and provide you with a quotation.
• Should there be extreme weather conditions our installers may not be able to continue with you installation if it is not safe to do so (for example flooding). They will always do their best to complete the work where they can.
If you have any questions then please contact our customer service team who will be happy to help. Please also read our terms and conditions.