Get up to 8,000 miles of free EV charging with the Hive Mini Pro 3*
With Hive’s FreeCharge feature, you get free electric car charging for an entire year. Simply plug in and set your ‘Ready by time’, and your Hive will charge with cheaper, greener energy. 100% of the cost will be reimbursed towards your energy bill, up to a maximum of 8,000 miles – British Gas’ fair usage cap.
Need an urgent top-up during the day? You can override FreeCharge to get an immediate paid-for charge at any time.
All you need is:
Don’t have a smart meter? British Gas will install one for free. Not with British Gas for your energy tariff? Sign up for a British Gas tariff via our link.
With the award-winning Hive app, you can also manage your electric car charger and any other Hive products at home, offering full and easy control in one place. Set charge schedules, monitor charging history and get access to British Gas’ specialist tariff – the British Gas EV Tariff – that promises greener and more cost-effective home charging.
*Up to a maximum of 2,290kWh of electricity consumed by the charge point in FreeCharge mode. The maximum consumption in FreeCharge mode is approximately equivalent to 8,000 miles transferred to EV(s) by the charge point, based on an assumed vehicle efficiency of 3.5 miles/kWh. Terms and conditions apply.
With over 1.8 million daily users, you can manage your Hive EV charger and any other Hive products all from the same place - via the app. Whether you're at home or on the go, you have full control over your EV charging anytime, anywhere. Schedule charging, monitor charging history, spending, energy usage and more.
Schedule your EV charging from 12am-5am and get access to lower electricity prices with the British Gas EV tariff.
You get a tidier and reduced cost of installation with the Hive's built-in PEN protection since no earth rod is needed.
Hive's intelligent software determines the best charging times for you, works out the savings, and deducts them directly from your British Gas energy bill.
The Hive comes readily equipped with load management, meaning your Mini Pro 3 will track and adjust its power outlet based on your property's electrical demand to ensure safer charging.
The Hive EV charger automatically updates your software, meaning you don't have to mess around with any pesky updates or wait for an engineer to manually update the firmware.
The Hive Mini Pro 3 is neat and discreet - the equivalent of an A5 notebook and ranking as one of the smallest home EV chargers on the market.
Use mobile (GPRS) connectivity to connect your Hive to your phone, resulting in a fast and seamless connection to the Hive app.
Charging output: 7.2 kW
Compatibility: Type 2 only
Available colours: Matte black only
Connectivity: Mobile (GPRS)
Dimensions: H215 x W140 x D100mm
Manufacturer warranty: 3-year manufacturer’s warranty for residential usage.
Surge Protection Device: The Hive does not come with a Surge Protection Device. Please note that in accordance with the new regulations, electrical circuits must now have Surge Protection Devices fitted. As EV charger installations require a new circuit, an additional cost of £60 will be added on top of the standard installation price for a Surge Protection Device (SPD) unless you choose to opt out. At We Power Your Car, we recommend that an SPD is installed. However, if you do not want an SPD, you will need to sign this document.
It takes approximately 4-8 hours to charge your EV with a 7kW charger, adding 25 to 30 miles of range per hour. However, multiple factors can affect charging speed, such as weather conditions and the size of the battery.
A tethered EV charger has the charging cable permanently attached to the unit, whereas an untethered or sometimes called ‘socketed’ EV charger doesn’t, meaning you have to insert the cable whenever you want to charge.
There are pros and cons to both, but ultimately, it’s down to personal preference as to which version you’d like.
At a charging rate of roughly 2.3kW-2.5kW, three-pin plug charging is significantly slower than a 7kW home charger – taking 18 hours for a full charge. Continuously charging your EV from a domestic three-pin socket can be dangerous too.
In our opinion, a dedicated 7kW EV charger is faster, safer and smarter than a three-pin plug charger. You can read more about dedicated 7kW home EV charging against three-pin plug charging here.
Yes, as with all our EV chargers, the Hive car charger is compliant with the electric vehicle smart charge points regulations.
The Hive EV charger only comes in 7.2kW, there is no 22kW version.
As the Hive is a socketed, or sometimes referred to as ‘tethered’ unit, it does not come with a charging cable as standard. You can either use the charging cable that came with your EV, or you can invest in a new cable.
This type of electric charger has it's own cable to charge your car.
This type of electric charger requires a seperate cable to charge your car.
Spread over a 60 month period.
Tenants and homeowners are eligible for finance.
You decide the amount of months.
Minimum of £1000.
We will contact you to process the credit application. Approval is subject to application, financial circumstances and borrowing history. 13.9% APR representative. T&Cs apply.
Your order is not confirmed until your application has been approved.
We lay SWA cable laid at 600mm deep, with a protective cable warning tape laid 150mm above the cable. These are laid on a sand or sifted sand soil bed then backfilled.
We position overhead cables at a minimum height of 3.5m and are run along a catenary wire. The cable run should not be accessible to vehicles.
Our instant price is fixed if it falls within our standard installation package plus any additions that you have selected (extra cabling for example). This package covers the majority of homes in the UK. Before we undertake your installation we will carry out a digital survey to check that nothing has been missed. After reviewing the survey results some additional work may be required in order to complete your installation safely and to the required standards. If this is the case, we will contact you well before the installation date and advise the cost of any required work. You can then continue with your installation, or alternatively we will refund you in full if you do not want to proceed.
Included in our standard installation is :
• Fitting of a single phase charge point to a brick or plaster wall or other suitable permanent structure
• Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charge point.
• Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick if this is needed.
• The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the charge point.
• An additional three way consumer unit, if required
• Installation of a Type A RCBO in an RCBO enclosure
• Up to 3 metres of plastic trunking to conceal interior wiring.
• An O-pen earth protection device if the charge point requires it. (This is NOT an earth rod)
• Up to 4 hours of labour from your installer to complete the work.
• Electrical testing of the whole installation.
• Handover and setup of the charge point and any app that may be needed.
Not included in our standard installation (additional work) :
• Where the installation requires additional cabling over and above the amount you have told us about.
• Upgrade/replacement of the main incoming supply fuse where the local DNO (eg Northern Powergrid) would need to attend site.
• If the charge point is to be mounted on a post/pedestal rather than an existing wall and where you have not selected a post as an extra cost option in your order.
• Installation of a charge point to a three phase supply.
• Where gas and water mains bonding (earthing) is not in place at your property. If this is not in place, additional work would be required before installation of the charge point.
• Any groundwork that has not been selected during the order process.
A Surge Protection Device is not included in our standard installation.
What else you need to know :
• On the day of installation, please ensure that the area around your consumer unit (fuse box), incoming electricity supply meter and proposed charge point location (including where the cable is expected to be run) is clear and free of obstructions.
• We will need your WiFi password as part of the installation process in order to connect your charge point to the internet. Please have this available for the installer. Details will not be kept.
• The charge point must be on your own designated off road parking.
• The charger will be fixed in line with current guidelines at a height where it cannot be hit by a vehicle.
• Our installers are not able to enter loft spaces; lift floorboards or flooring; take apart any furniture of work above a height of 2m. If you anticipate that any of this may be required, then please contact us and we can discuss in more detail and provide you with a quotation.
• Should there be extreme weather conditions our installers may not be able to continue with you installation if it is not safe to do so (for example flooding). They will always do their best to complete the work where they can.
If you have any questions then please contact our customer service team who will be happy to help. Please also read our terms and conditions.