Our commercial team created a bespoke workplace EV charging solution for Kelling Group, West Yorkshire – the UK’s leading national provider of vehicle-mounted access platforms and mobile eco-welfare units.
From initial contact to handover, We Power Your Car coordinated the full EV charging journey for Kelling Group, including grant support, charger choice and installation, in addition to providing and configuring the back-office system.
|Scope||Nine EV chargers|
|EV charger solution||Easee Charge|
|Back-office system||FUUSE – QR code and RFID cards|
|Users||Employees and visitors|
After making contact with our commercial team, Kelling Group provided a brief overview of their EV charging requirements:
After the first contact, we undertook a free face-to-face site survey at Kelling Group’s Headquarters to obtain a comprehensive overview of the company’s charging needs.
After a thorough audit of the proposed site, and a deeper discussion surrounding EV charging requirements, we created a proposal document.
Within this proposal, we included a personalised design and installation walk-through, including but not limited to grant eligibility, back-office solutions, and manufacturer selection.
Kelling Group wanted tidy, easy-to-use socketed EV charging points. And that’s exactly what we supplied and installed.
|Easee Charge Features|
|Dynamic load balancing||Interchangeable front cover in five colours|
|Wi-Fi Connectivity||Permanent locking of Type 2 cable|
|Automated queuing system||Universal – fits all EVs and power supplies|
|RFID cards||3-years warranty|
|OZEV-Approved||Suitable for single-phase and three-phase connections|
In total, we installed nine 22kW Easee Charges – here’s why:
As socketed (untethered) chargers, the Easee charging robots present a clean and compact solution without cables in view. To further add to the sleek, professional aesthetic, we took advantage of the Easee bases, ensuring efficient use of parking space by installing multiple Easee Charge units on individual bases.
Moreover, by offering socketed units, users are able to plug in their own EV charging cables for a universal charging solution.
Up to 101 charging robots can also be load balanced on a single fuse with the Easee Charge, protecting businesses and offering scalability. For Kelling, this load balancing proved essential as we could put four chargers on one 22kW circuit, sharing the load across the chargers equally and safely. As a result, if and when all electric car chargers are in use, each vehicle will receive 5.5kW, which, over an 8-hour workday, provides approximately 176 miles of charge.
Furthermore, the Easee Charge offers RFID compatibility for effortless charger control. For Kelling Group, employees were supplied with Easee-compatible RFID tags to start and stop their charging sessions. On the other hand, visitors utilise the QR code located on the outside of the EV charging point body to manage sessions. Ease of use is therefore guaranteed for authorised personnel with these intuitive scan-activated RFID and QR charging methods.
Kelling Group wanted a back-office solution that provided management information to support environmental reporting and functionality for managing access. Moreover, they wanted to set different charging tariffs for different categories of users.
We catered to Kelling’s requirements by offering Fuuse back-end office solution. This market-leading system allows complete management of the unit, including the ability to restrict users, manage billing, and control tariffs.
With this intelligent back-end system, Kelling Group received the freedom to charge users for electricity while setting user-specific tariffs, for example, offering free charging sessions to visitors.
As Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) approved installers offering government-approved electric vehicle charging points, we help guide you through the Workplace Charging Scheme grant and the EV chargepoint infrastructure grant applications. And that’s what we did with Kelling Group.
The Workplace Charging Scheme offers £350 off the cost of workplace or commercial electric vehicle chargers, up to a maximum of £14,000. Additionally, the EV chargepoint infrastructure for staff and fleets allows up to £500 per EV charger infrastructure space, totalling up to an additional £15,000 of government funding available.
Kelling Group was eligible for both the WCS and the EV chargepoint infrastructure grant, obtaining a significant amount of government funding towards their workplace installation.
After Kelling approved the quotation, our commercial team arranged a date to start the installation.
The installation took approximately two days, with groundworks and electrical work being undertaken on the first day and installation of the EV charging points, testing and commissioning on the second day.
While on the site survey, our commercial team noted that there was not enough power supply in any existing distribution boards to power all nine EV chargers.
Our solution to this was to split the supply into two, minimising groundworks and the cable run for Kelling. In turn, providing a cheaper and more efficient solution for the company.
However, while the first supply came from a distribution board in a newly built extension, the other distribution board lacked the capacity to power the remaining four chargers in the employee car park. Our commercial team overcame this obstacle by installing a new MCCB in the mains incoming board to power a new 12-way distribution board with built-in PEN protection and surge protection.
By offering this solution, we enabled power for the four new EV chargers while simultaneously futureproofing the property – as this new distribution board will be able to power more chargers when needed.
As part of our handover, our commercial team attended Kelling’s HQ to demonstrate how their new EV chargers worked – including showcasing the Easee Charge features and functionality. We also configured the FUUSE back-office system and trained Kelling on how to set payment parameters, assign RFID cards for users and view charging analytics.
“We are delighted with the installation by We Power Your Car. From a thorough and collaborative specification process to determine our exact requirements through to a tidy and professional installation phase, the team kept us up to date throughout the entire project. This installation is primarily to facilitate the electrification of our company car fleet and staff’s personal vehicles. We have already placed a second order with We Power Your Car to coincide with a number of other ‘green’ initiatives within our business, including the launch of Access Zero, the UK’s first fully-electric van-mounted access platforms.”
By installing workplace electric car chargers, Kelling will reap the rewards from the start. Not only will they boost staff morale by offering employees the opportunity to charge during work hours at a subsidised rate – benefiting staff retention – but Kelling will improve their sustainability credentials while also futureproofing the business.
As an accredited, experienced electric vehicle charger, full-service supply and installation company, we can assist with every step of organising an EV charging solution, including but not limited to the following:
Contact us today at 03333 44 00 16 or fill in the form below to discuss your commercial or workplace EV charging needs.
Enter your information below, and one of our expert advisors will be in touch shortly.
This type of electric charger has it's own cable to charge your car.
This type of electric charger requires a seperate cable to charge your car.
Spread over a 60 month period.
Tenants and homeowners are eligible for finance.
You decide the amount of months.
Minimum of £1000.
We will contact you to process the credit application. Approval is subject to application, financial circumstances and borrowing history. 13.9% APR representative. T&Cs apply.
Your order is not confirmed until your application has been approved.
We lay SWA cable laid at 600mm deep, with a protective cable warning tape laid 150mm above the cable. These are laid on a sand or sifted sand soil bed then backfilled.
We position overhead cables at a minimum height of 3.5m and are run along a catenary wire. The cable run should not be accessible to vehicles.
Our instant price is fixed if it falls within our standard installation package plus any additions that you have selected (extra cabling for example). This package covers the majority of homes in the UK. Before we undertake your installation we will carry out a digital survey to check that nothing has been missed. After reviewing the survey results some additional work may be required in order to complete your installation safely and to the required standards. If this is the case, we will contact you well before the installation date and advise the cost of any required work. You can then continue with your installation, or alternatively we will refund you in full if you do not want to proceed.
Included in our standard installation is :
• Fitting of a single phase charge point to a brick or plaster wall or other suitable permanent structure
• Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charge point.
• Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick if this is needed.
• The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the charge point.
• An additional three way consumer unit, if required
• Installation of a Type A RCBO in an RCBO enclosure
• Up to 3 metres of plastic trunking to conceal interior wiring.
• An O-pen earth protection device if the charge point requires it. (This is NOT an earth rod)
• Up to 4 hours of labour from your installer to complete the work.
• Electrical testing of the whole installation.
• Handover and setup of the charge point and any app that may be needed.
Not included in our standard installation (additional work) :
• Where the installation requires additional cabling over and above the amount you have told us about.
• Upgrade/replacement of the main incoming supply fuse where the local DNO (eg Northern Powergrid) would need to attend site.
• If the charge point is to be mounted on a post/pedestal rather than an existing wall and where you have not selected a post as an extra cost option in your order.
• Installation of a charge point to a three phase supply.
• Where gas and water mains bonding (earthing) is not in place at your property. If this is not in place, additional work would be required before installation of the charge point.
• Any groundwork that has not been selected during the order process.
A Surge Protection Device is not included in our standard installation.
What else you need to know :
• On the day of installation, please ensure that the area around your consumer unit (fuse box), incoming electricity supply meter and proposed charge point location (including where the cable is expected to be run) is clear and free of obstructions.
• We will need your WiFi password as part of the installation process in order to connect your charge point to the internet. Please have this available for the installer. Details will not be kept.
• The charge point must be on your own designated off road parking.
• The charger will be fixed in line with current guidelines at a height where it cannot be hit by a vehicle.
• Our installers are not able to enter loft spaces; lift floorboards or flooring; take apart any furniture of work above a height of 2m. If you anticipate that any of this may be required, then please contact us and we can discuss in more detail and provide you with a quotation.
• Should there be extreme weather conditions our installers may not be able to continue with you installation if it is not safe to do so (for example flooding). They will always do their best to complete the work where they can.
If you have any questions then please contact our customer service team who will be happy to help. Please also read our terms and conditions.