There are many generous grants available from the government to help with the costs of electric vehicle charging. They are all easily accessible and simple to receive, although the process may seem daunting. There are two key types of grants: the Electrical Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) and the Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS). The EVHS is for individuals and the WCS is focussed towards commercial businesses.
Easy, helpful and extremely monetarily beneficial, these grants are an amazing incentive which make EVs even more attractive for prospective buyers – especially for businesses looking for eco-friendly, green company cars.
The EVHS is a grant which provides funding for up to 75% off the cost of installing an electric vehicle charge point in your home. This is capped at £350, including VAT. In order to claim the grant, you must have an eligible vehicle and charger type, an eligible property, and use an OLEV certified installer. When you buy your charger and arrange your installation with We Power Your Car, we tick all these boxes for you. When your EV charger is installed, we make sure your paperwork is signed to complete your grant application and save you up to £350.
A list of chargers and electric vehicles which are eligible for the grant is available on the government website. However, if you fill in our form to get a quote, we’ll let you know if you’re eligible for one in under a minute.
Once you have completed this simple step, there is a key date to bear in mind: 1st October 2016. Anybody who has taken ownership of a first or second hand EV on or after this date is eligible for the grant. This also includes those who rent or are assigned as the primary user of an EV by an employer for at least six months.
In addition to this, if you can prove that you have ordered an EV you are also eligible. You can only have the grant for one charger installation per vehicle, and in one household you can have a maximum of two – provided the vehicles are both in active use.
You must also have private off-street parking belonging to the property where you want to install the charger. Whether on your driveway or in an attached or detached garage, all these options make you eligible for the grant.
As previously mentioned, the engineer which installs your EV charger must be OLEV approved for you to be eligible for the government grant. When you arrange your electric vehicle charger installation with us, we will always organise an OLEV approved engineer for your installation making the whole process pain-free. The engineer will assess your property, carry out your EV charger installation and claim the grant for you. This grant and our installations are available UK-wide.
The WCS is a voucher-based scheme which any business, charity or public authority can apply for. Again, this grant provides funding for up to 75% off the purchase and installation of EV charge points. This is capped at £350 (including VAT) with up to a maximum of 40 charging points across all sites for one company. Your business can apply for the vouchers via an online application form. Once generated, these vouchers are valid for up to six months and the installation must happen during this period.
As with the OLEV grant, your installation must be done by an OLEV-authorised engineer who will then use the vouchers to claim the grant. When you arrange your site visit with We Power Your Car, all our engineers are authorised.
The site must have designated off street parking that is solely dedicated to staff. This can be either staff-only parking spaces or a staff car park. In addition, the 40 power-points can be installed in any number of sites – for example you could have 40 chargers on one site or one charger on 40 different sites, giving businesses the opportunity to allocate the EV chargers with flexibility.
Furthermore, companies do not actually need to own any electrical vehicles to qualify for the grant. All you need to do is to declare a need for EV charging points or show an intention to encourage electrical vehicle uptake amongst your staff or your company car fleet. Becoming a greener company can not only be a moral decision but also a wise financial decision.
We offer workplace and commercial charging solutions for all sizes and types of business. Get in touch with us to arrange a site visit for your company – the price we quote won’t change.
For more information and our latest updates make sure you’re following us on LinkedIn.
This type of electric charger has it's own cable to charge your car.
This type of electric charger requires a seperate cable to charge your car.
Spread over a 60 month period.
Also available over 24, 36 and 48 month periods.
We will contact you to process the credit application. Approval is subject to application, financial circumstances and borrowing history. 12.9% APR representative. T&Cs apply.
Your order is not confirmed until your application has been approved.
We lay SWA cable laid at 600mm deep, with a protective cable warning tape laid 150mm above the cable. These are laid on a sand or sifted sand soil bed then backfilled.
We position overhead cables at a minimum height of 3.5m and are run along a catenary wire. The cable run should not be accessible to vehicles.
Our instant price is fixed if it falls within our standard installation package plus any additions that you have selected (extra cabling for example). This package covers the majority of homes in the UK. Before we undertake your installation we will carry out a digital survey to check that nothing has been missed. After reviewing the survey results some additional work may be required in order to complete your installation safely and to the required standards. If this is the case, we will contact you well before the installation date and advise the cost of any required work. You can then continue with your installation, or alternatively we will refund you in full if you do not want to proceed.
Included in our standard installation is :
• Fitting of a single phase charge point to a brick or plaster wall or other suitable permanent structure
• Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charge point.
• Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick if this is needed.
• The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the charge point.
• An additional three way consumer unit, if required
• Installation of a Type A RCBO in an RCBO enclosure
• Up to 3 metres of plastic trunking to conceal interior wiring.
• An O-pen earth protection device if the charge point requires it. (This is NOT an earth rod)
• Up to 4 hours of labour from your installer to complete the work.
• Electrical testing of the whole installation.
• Handover and setup of the charge point and any app that may be needed.
Not included in our standard installation (additional work) :
• Where the installation requires additional cabling over and above the amount you have told us about.
• Upgrade/replacement of the main incoming supply fuse where the local DNO (eg Northern Powergrid) would need to attend site.
• If the charge point is to be mounted on a post/pedestal rather than an existing wall and where you have not selected a post as an extra cost option in your order.
• Installation of a charge point to a three phase supply.
• Where gas and water mains bonding (earthing) is not in place at your property. If this is not in place, additional work would be required before installation of the charge point.
• Any groundwork that has not been selected during the order process.
What else you need to know :
• On the day of installation, please ensure that the area around your consumer unit (fuse box), incoming electricity supply meter and proposed charge point location (including where the cable is expected to be run) is clear and free of obstructions.
• We will need your WiFi password as part of the installation process in order to connect your charge point to the internet. Please have this available for the installer. Details will not be kept.
• The charge point must be on your own designated off road parking.
• The charger will be fixed in line with current guidelines at a height where it cannot be hit by a vehicle.
• Our installers are not able to enter loft spaces; lift floorboards or flooring; take apart any furniture of work above a height of 2m. If you anticipate that any of this may be required, then please contact us and we can discuss in more detail and provide you with a quotation.
• Should there be extreme weather conditions our installers may not be able to continue with you installation if it is not safe to do so (for example flooding). They will always do their best to complete the work where they can.
If you have any questions then please contact our customer service team who will be happy to help. Please also read our terms and conditions.