The English government has confirmed new legislation will be introduced this year to help tackle potential EV charging infrastructure issues.
This proposal, originally announced back in 2019, is set to be introduced at the end of 2021, with it then coming into effect in 2022. The law will make it mandatory that all newly built homes and offices in England will have to have a smart electric vehicle charger installed on the property. For new office blocks, for every 5 car parking spaces, one smart electric vehicle charging point will need to be installed.
England will be the first country in the world to make to it law that all new homes must have smart EV chargers installed on the property. The government hopes the law will inject a boost of electric vehicles chargers around the country, given the plan to phase out conventional petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030. It has been predicted by the Department of Transport that it will increase the rate of installations from around 500 to up to 700 charging units per month.
How will residential buildings be affected by this new law?
All newly built homes will be required to have electric vehicle charging points installed. Old builds will not be obligated to do so.
How will non-residential buildings be affected?
Any new office blocks will have to install one charging point for every 5 car parking spaces.
What electric chargers will be compatible with this new law?
Only smart electric vehicle charging points will be installed in these new buildings. It is hoped that by installing smart chargers that it will promote overnight charging, or scheduled charging when the grid is not in demand. EV smart chargers usually include a variety of features such as charge scheduling, solar charging and cable lock, these features should help support the grid.
Where will this law come into play?
This new legislation will only be in England, with separate legislation needed for Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.
When will this change be happening?
The UK government has confirmed legislation will be introduced this year, with the rules to then come into force in 2022.
Here at We Power Your Car, we can cater to your every need – covering both commercial and domestic electric vehicle charging point installations. We offer largescale smart EV charger installations, such as for office blocks, flats and new build developments.
If you’re looking to make the switch to a dedicated charger, have a browse at our exciting range of EV chargers here. Or, contact us on 03333 44 96 99, our expert customer service team will always be happy to help.
This type of electric charger has it's own cable to charge your car.
This type of electric charger requires a seperate cable to charge your car.
Spread over a 60 month period.
Tenants and homeowners are eligible for finance.
You decide the amount of months.
Minimum of £1000.
We will contact you to process the credit application. Approval is subject to application, financial circumstances and borrowing history. 13.9% APR representative. T&Cs apply.
Your order is not confirmed until your application has been approved.
We lay SWA cable laid at 600mm deep, with a protective cable warning tape laid 150mm above the cable. These are laid on a sand or sifted sand soil bed then backfilled.
We position overhead cables at a minimum height of 3.5m and are run along a catenary wire. The cable run should not be accessible to vehicles.
Our instant price is fixed if it falls within our standard installation package plus any additions that you have selected (extra cabling for example). This package covers the majority of homes in the UK. Before we undertake your installation we will carry out a digital survey to check that nothing has been missed. After reviewing the survey results some additional work may be required in order to complete your installation safely and to the required standards. If this is the case, we will contact you well before the installation date and advise the cost of any required work. You can then continue with your installation, or alternatively we will refund you in full if you do not want to proceed.
Included in our standard installation is :
• Fitting of a single phase charge point to a brick or plaster wall or other suitable permanent structure
• Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charge point.
• Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick if this is needed.
• The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the charge point.
• An additional three way consumer unit, if required
• Installation of a Type A RCBO in an RCBO enclosure
• Up to 3 metres of plastic trunking to conceal interior wiring.
• An O-pen earth protection device if the charge point requires it. (This is NOT an earth rod)
• Up to 4 hours of labour from your installer to complete the work.
• Electrical testing of the whole installation.
• Handover and setup of the charge point and any app that may be needed.
Not included in our standard installation (additional work) :
• Where the installation requires additional cabling over and above the amount you have told us about.
• Upgrade/replacement of the main incoming supply fuse where the local DNO (eg Northern Powergrid) would need to attend site.
• If the charge point is to be mounted on a post/pedestal rather than an existing wall and where you have not selected a post as an extra cost option in your order.
• Installation of a charge point to a three phase supply.
• Where gas and water mains bonding (earthing) is not in place at your property. If this is not in place, additional work would be required before installation of the charge point.
• Any groundwork that has not been selected during the order process.
A Surge Protection Device is not included in our standard installation.
What else you need to know :
• On the day of installation, please ensure that the area around your consumer unit (fuse box), incoming electricity supply meter and proposed charge point location (including where the cable is expected to be run) is clear and free of obstructions.
• We will need your WiFi password as part of the installation process in order to connect your charge point to the internet. Please have this available for the installer. Details will not be kept.
• The charge point must be on your own designated off road parking.
• The charger will be fixed in line with current guidelines at a height where it cannot be hit by a vehicle.
• Our installers are not able to enter loft spaces; lift floorboards or flooring; take apart any furniture of work above a height of 2m. If you anticipate that any of this may be required, then please contact us and we can discuss in more detail and provide you with a quotation.
• Should there be extreme weather conditions our installers may not be able to continue with you installation if it is not safe to do so (for example flooding). They will always do their best to complete the work where they can.
If you have any questions then please contact our customer service team who will be happy to help. Please also read our terms and conditions.