As the Government continues to work towards net-zero by 2050, a significant injection of up to £50 million will be available as part of the Workplace Charging Scheme and the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS). The boost in investment hopes to encourage the switch to electric and help generate a rise in electric vehicle infrastructure across the UK.
The Workplace Charging Scheme, or “WCS”, is another OZEV-created scheme that encourages the adoption of electric vehicles on the commercial side.
Like the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme, the year 2022 will bring about changes to the OZEV funded Workplace Charging Scheme too. So, grab your note pad and pen as we will be discussing the current Workplace Charging Scheme, the upcoming 2022 reforms, and some benefits of investing in EV infrastructure commercially.
What is the Workplace Charging Scheme?
The Workplace Charging Scheme is a voucher based scheme created by OZEV that reduces the purchase and installation cost of electric vehicle charging points for the workplace by 75%, up to £350 (including VAT) per socket. Companies can claim up to a maximum of 40 sockets meaning that you could potentially save £14,000.
Who is OZEV?
OZEV stands for the Office For Zero Emission Vehicles. OZEV is a team working across government to support the transition to zero emission vehicles.
Who can claim the Workplace Charging Scheme currently? (2021)
If you are a registered business or public sector organisation, and can provide either a Companies House reference number, a VAT registration number, or an HMRC registration letter, you are eligible to apply. Please note, you will be asked to upload a copy of at least one of these documents during the online application process.
How can I claim the grant?
An authorised representative of your business can apply for the Workplace Charging Scheme using the government online application portal. If eligibility checks are successful, applicants will be issued with a unique identification voucher code via email. This can then be given to any OZEV authorised WCS installer (such as We Power Your Car). The voucher expires after 180 days and the installation must be completed before it expires.
For registered businesses and public sector organisations, a grant of up to £350 is available per socket (maximum of £14,000), but only if applicants are registered with Companies House or have a VAT registration. Private parking is also needed to qualify, and must be for staff or fleet use only. The electric vehicle chargers must also be OZEV approved and the installation must be carried out by an OZEV authorised installer, 3-pin plug chargers are not eligible for funding.
To read more about how to claim the Workplace Charging Scheme and eligibility, please read here.
What reforms are coming in 2022?
Whilst the Workplace Charging Scheme will continue supporting registered businesses and fleets in 2022 and for the foreseeable future, from 1st April 2022, the WCS scheme will be expanding.
Small accommodation businesses (such as B&B’s and Campsites), SMEs, and charities will all be eligible to take advantage of the WCS scheme, meaning these businesses can utilise the grant to invest in EV chargepoints on site for customer use. The government hopes that the eligibility expansion will encourage EV charging access in rural areas of the UK, as well as helping to support the UK tourism industry.
WCS Eligibility Criteria for Charities – 2022
WCS Eligibility for Small Accommodation Businesses – 2022
Staff, visitors and customers will all be permitted to use the EV charge points.
You can find out about the advantages of utilising the WCS as a small accommodation business in our blog, here.
WCS Eligibility Criteria for SMEs – 2022
Thinking about utilising the Workplace Charging Scheme and investing in EV chargers for your business? Here are some benefits:
1) Make your workplace more attractive
2) Save money
3) Promote Sustainability
4) Future-proof your business
To read more about the benefits of installing EV charge points at your workplace, read our blog post here.
Are you looking to install EV charging points for your business? We Power Your Car can help.
We Power Your Business, with tailored business EV charging solutions and first-class customer service.
Our EV charge point sales and installation services for businesses come with a whole range of support and assistance. We offer a completely personalised solution that will suit your individual operation and needs.
Our expert advisers are standing by to take your calls on 03333 44 96 99. Alternatively, you can access our webchat service or email us at [email protected].
This type of electric charger has it's own cable to charge your car.
This type of electric charger requires a seperate cable to charge your car.
Spread over a 60 month period.
Tenants and homeowners are eligible for finance.
You decide the amount of months.
Minimum of £1000.
We will contact you to process the credit application. Approval is subject to application, financial circumstances and borrowing history. 13.9% APR representative. T&Cs apply.
Your order is not confirmed until your application has been approved.
We lay SWA cable laid at 600mm deep, with a protective cable warning tape laid 150mm above the cable. These are laid on a sand or sifted sand soil bed then backfilled.
We position overhead cables at a minimum height of 3.5m and are run along a catenary wire. The cable run should not be accessible to vehicles.
Our instant price is fixed if it falls within our standard installation package plus any additions that you have selected (extra cabling for example). This package covers the majority of homes in the UK. Before we undertake your installation we will carry out a digital survey to check that nothing has been missed. After reviewing the survey results some additional work may be required in order to complete your installation safely and to the required standards. If this is the case, we will contact you well before the installation date and advise the cost of any required work. You can then continue with your installation, or alternatively we will refund you in full if you do not want to proceed.
Included in our standard installation is :
• Fitting of a single phase charge point to a brick or plaster wall or other suitable permanent structure
• Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the charge point.
• Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick if this is needed.
• The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the charge point.
• An additional three way consumer unit, if required
• Installation of a Type A RCBO in an RCBO enclosure
• Up to 3 metres of plastic trunking to conceal interior wiring.
• An O-pen earth protection device if the charge point requires it. (This is NOT an earth rod)
• Up to 4 hours of labour from your installer to complete the work.
• Electrical testing of the whole installation.
• Handover and setup of the charge point and any app that may be needed.
Not included in our standard installation (additional work) :
• Where the installation requires additional cabling over and above the amount you have told us about.
• Upgrade/replacement of the main incoming supply fuse where the local DNO (eg Northern Powergrid) would need to attend site.
• If the charge point is to be mounted on a post/pedestal rather than an existing wall and where you have not selected a post as an extra cost option in your order.
• Installation of a charge point to a three phase supply.
• Where gas and water mains bonding (earthing) is not in place at your property. If this is not in place, additional work would be required before installation of the charge point.
• Any groundwork that has not been selected during the order process.
A Surge Protection Device is not included in our standard installation.
What else you need to know :
• On the day of installation, please ensure that the area around your consumer unit (fuse box), incoming electricity supply meter and proposed charge point location (including where the cable is expected to be run) is clear and free of obstructions.
• We will need your WiFi password as part of the installation process in order to connect your charge point to the internet. Please have this available for the installer. Details will not be kept.
• The charge point must be on your own designated off road parking.
• The charger will be fixed in line with current guidelines at a height where it cannot be hit by a vehicle.
• Our installers are not able to enter loft spaces; lift floorboards or flooring; take apart any furniture of work above a height of 2m. If you anticipate that any of this may be required, then please contact us and we can discuss in more detail and provide you with a quotation.
• Should there be extreme weather conditions our installers may not be able to continue with you installation if it is not safe to do so (for example flooding). They will always do their best to complete the work where they can.
If you have any questions then please contact our customer service team who will be happy to help. Please also read our terms and conditions.